Monday, January 18, 2010

Floor It



Click on player to hear a podcast of this blog.

A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Dane Allred


Floor It


One of the reasons I believe we live in abundance is I look around and see so many wonderful things in this world. Even the mundane things we take for granted everyday are miracles compared with only 100 years ago. I thought about this as I was driving with dozens of other people on one of our modern freeways. Someone thought most of us were going to slow, and as he zoomed past me I marveled at the fact something like this was even possible.

We live in a society where affordable and dependable transportation is available to nearly every one who needs it. Where I live a car is almost a necessity, but there is also public transportation available for those who need to get from here to there. We even have “on demand” transportation for those people who may not be able to use a bus or a train. But the point is, we can get from A to B and make a living, make a purchase, or visit those far away.

When you thing about it, a car shouldn’t really be necessary for someone to work, but out here in the wide open spaces, there is definitely a need for many people. For example, my work involves driving twenty miles south. There is a bus which could get me there, but twice a week I also need to travel north thirty miles for one of my part-time jobs. Once a week I make a trip here to the radio station, and there really isn’t public transportation available on the weekend from where I live to where the radio station is. So for the purposes of everything I do, some kind of dependable transportation is a necessity. Multiply that by the thousands of people who work every day, and there will also be a need for roads and ways to keep all of us crazy drivers safe.

I really don’t think it will change any time soon, but I am looking forward to the cars that climb up the sides of buildings like in Minority Report. The cars drive themselves and with the help of computer controls, the traffic should be much better. But there is something to be said for being caught in a traffic jam. When the freeway turns into a parking lot, I like looking around and trying to notice the other people, cars, and sights I usually drive past as fast as I can go. It really makes you appreciate the days when there isn’t a traffic jam and everything is going great.

Commerce also drives what we drive. If you think about all of the business which is done and is centered around the flights of fancy we take in our cars and trucks, it is an amazing array of products and services never available to anyone in the past in the quantity and quality we enjoy today. A visitor from 1776 would be amazed to know today I travelled sixty miles north, audition for a movie, went to a fine restaurant, shopped at a well supplied grocery store and also stopped and buy some really excellent cookies before driving sixty miles south back to my home. In the day of the horse and buggy, thirty miles in an entire day would be a very good day of travelling indeed. And to get a delicious chicken dinner with mashed potatoes and asparagus, plus buy fresh oranges, yogurt, Pepsi – which I don’t think they would appreciate like I do – canned chili, a dozen frozen pre-prepared meals, and a big bag of pancake mix; well, I just don’t think they would believe you. I don’t think I would even mention the excellent bakery we also stopped at to get some delicious éclairs and roles.

I haven’t mentioned all the other excellent stores and entertainment opportunities we drove past and could have patronized. But think about this. My family lives an hour away; my in-laws are two hours away. In one day, we can drive, visit and return home. Two hundred years ago, visiting my relatives could have taken up to a week. As the world has become smaller and faster, it’s true the demands on our time have increased. More is expected of us, but we are also able to do more. I can’t wait for what the future brings. I know we will continue to improve the quality of life for everyone. I just can’t imagine what form it will take. The abundance we enjoy is just a taste of what things may be. I hope you have the opportunity to enjoy all the wonderful things happening in this world today. As we pay attention and give thanks for all that we enjoy, I think you may realize what a great life you have.


This is another episode of “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Dane Allred”. From the weekly broadcast of “Abundance”. Tune each week from 7 to 8 P.M. Mountain Standard Time (9 to 10 EST) or listen on any web browser at www.k-talk.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment