Saturday, February 27, 2010


Click on the player to hear a podcast of this blog.


A Quick Five Hundred

Sometimes it’s fun just to do something different. Plus you might get to miss parent-teacher conference. When I was requested to show up one more day for the pain patch video, I had no idea what an easy day it would be. Plus I got a ton of stuff done.

Sleeping in was the best part, since my call wasn’t until one-thirty in the afternoon. I could only sleep until 8 am, and I don’t think the wife was too happy to have to go to work while I slept. We usually have the same schedule, so we leave for work at about the same time. She was a little noisy, and I guess that was her way of showing her displeasure. But even when I did get back to sleep, I had nightmares about our kids. Serves me right.

So after a shower and shave, it’s off to the races. Which means getting some stuff ready for my substitute while I get personal leave deducted for the day I miss, but I still have to show up at work. Then off to check on some of the surplus places I like, and then to the IKEA store to buy a couple of pillows. I even had enough time to go to the radio station to record some commercials, and then go to the agent to get a voucher so I could get paid for the two days. Somewhere in between I had an Astroburger and some fries.

So far a great day, since I didn’t think I would be working the usual 12 hours in a filming contract. A late call usually means a short day unless the crew is planning on shooting late. I once sat for 12 hours before even being called to the set, and we didn’t finish for six more hours. I got overtime pay, but it was a very long 18 hour day. For this pain patch video, I had spent 12 hours the day before, but only had a couple of scenes to shoot today.

The only bad news from the whole day was that when you show up this late in a shooting day you don’t get lunch, and I showed up right as lunch was being served. I was already full, and remember, there is always craft services. I had a Coke and a water. But I had other work I could do as I waited for my shot, and after two or three hours, they were ready for me.

One of the hardest things is to get the lighting right for a scene, especially if there is sunlight involved. It actually took longer to get the lights right than my scene took to shoot. Eventually the clouds helped out and solved the problem, and after sitting around for the afternoon, I shot my scene. It was supposed to be an interview with a doctor, and I found out the guy playing the doctor does the voice you hear at Disneyland. I thought it sounded familiar. We went through some fake dialogue since none of the sound was being recorded. Then we went through some more everyday conversation and the cameras kept rolling. I looked like I was in pain. I wrung my hands. I grimaced. Sometimes we laughed, but who knows which parts they will lose. An extended take like this lets the actors relax and then the camera can get some nice honest shots. Then I was done.

That’s right. I was filmed for less than 5 minutes – probably more like 3 minutes. They were willing to pay me five hundred dollars to sit around all day and do that one scene. And people wonder why movie tickets cost so much.

But really, this footage will only be seen on the internet and maybe on some DVD’s sent to doctors. But it’s what the client wanted, and everyone was very happy with our work. I was definitely overpaid on that day, and most of you know I would probably show up and do the same for just what craft services lets me eat. But don’t tell them.

Don’t get me wrong. These are good people doing hard work which most of the world thinks is glamorous. But the nurse who was experiencing this world for the first time this week told me she didn’t really think it was for her, and she had no idea how hard the work really was.

But again, I don’t really want to do this kind of work full time even when the money is so good. I really missed my students, my colleagues, and like I said before, sometimes it good just to do something different, so you can appreciate those things you really do love to do.

Is there research you need to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment