Tuesday, April 6, 2010

United We Stand


Click on the player above to hear a podcast of this blog.


United We Stand

Do you remember back to a time when you were young and carefree? The time when all seemed right with the world, and nothing threatened your sense of security and safety? As children, we seemed not to have a care and didn’t worry about what was happening anywhere else but right where we were. We didn’t know about problems around the world, about problems in our country, or even problems in the neighborhood.

As we grew older, we were gradually introduced to the evil which can exist in the world, and we may have lost that wonder and awe we had back then. We also want to protect our children so they can have that same feeling of protection; that cocoon which helps them feel safe in their world.

Our bridge to the future is the upcoming generations. We are all getting older even though we don’t want to admit it. This is one of the reasons I like working with younger people. It gives me the impression I am much younger than I am, but that’s not a bad thing. Until I look in the mirror and the wrinkles betray all of the life experience I have been blessed to have.

What does it all mean? I’m glad for the time I have left to prepare this world to be a better place in the future, but that also means there will be a time I have to leave. Those who are the next leaders, movers and shakers are slowly filling the ranks and gently pushing us out. As they gain their confidence and move forward to own their own future, we may be relegated to the dustbins of history. I already feel some of this when I try to comprehend the new technologies, the myriad of things I need to know how to do I never imagined I would be able to master, and those things I choose to let pass by me and don’t bother to learn.

I’m not a good at texting, but I do text at times. We’re talking a couple of texts a month, compared with those with the dancing thumbs who can text 20 or 30 thousand text messages a month. I don’t want to be sending a thousand text messages a month. I don’t have that interesting of a life, and I don’t know a thousand people who would be interested. I know these massive totals are texts to a lot of the same people, but why would I want to keep reading text messages from someone who isn’t standing there with me, ignoring the people who are standing there with me.

I also don’t want to become an online gaming addict. I’ve already been through enough of the time wasting on video games in my past, and when my kids got their first Nintendo, I will admit I spent enough time to master the Loony Tunes game where you meet Max at the end. Sadly, some of you will also know what I’m talking about.

As we cross the threshold together, there will come a time when we must let go and let those who will be running the world do it the way they want. Until that time comes, what can we do to help ensure a better tomorrow?

I believe it rests with our positive outlook, and on focusing on the abundance around us. We can’t inspire a new generation with negativity and pessimism. If all the younger generation hears from us in the older generation is how much better it was in the good old days, what kind of message do we send to those we want to trust with the future? Have you ever been given a task by someone who expected you to fail? It’s hard to be inspired when those who give you the job don’t think you can do it.

Think about it. The negativity and pessimism of the current generation could be our fault. If our attitude is things will never get better, but only worse, and we show our lack of faith in the younger generation by undermining their confidence, we may deserve what we get. It’s an interesting proposition. Can you continue in your complaining, and expect a better tomorrow?

Get on board and get positive. Those who want to make a difference in what tomorrow brings need to help the solutions appear by thinking solutions are possible. We need to encourage those who will follow us by telling them they can do it, not that they can’t. When we combine the energies of those who have seen better days with those who want a brighter future, the outcome will be amazing. We can do whatever we set our minds to do, and with positive expectations, we will get there together.

No comments:

Post a Comment