Wednesday, May 5, 2010

The Benjamins


Click on the player above to hear an audio version of this blog.

The Benjamins

Everybody has to be born on one of 365 days in the year. Statistically, if you get 23 people in the same room, chances are better than 50 percent two people in the room will share a birthday. With 57 people, the chances increase to 99 percent. Of course if you get 366 people in the same room, someone will share a birthday. If you want to read an explanation, there is a math one at Wikipedia.

I share a birthday with Benjamin Franklin. He was called a Renaissance man, a person who was experienced in many differing disciplines. He gave us the lightning rod, but probably didn’t do the kite flying experiment. He started one of the first volunteer fire departments, libraries and insurance companies. He helped found the first civilian hospital and medical school in the United States. He invented the glasses I wear – bifocals.

We know him best for his contributions to American Independence. I didn’t know he was the person who designed the “Unite or Die” snake which represented the colonies. You’ve probably seen that flag if you ever studied American History.

I really like his list of thirteen virtues, and though I have discussed them before, I think the 304th anniversary of his birth would be a good place to review them. I’ll bet he had an English accent. I’ll use it when I am quoting from his list.



TEMPERANCE. Eat not to dullness; drink not to elevation.”

Don’t eat too much I get, but I’m guessing Ben was a quiet drunk.

“SILENCE. Speak not but what may benefit others or yourself; avoid trifling conversation.”

I wonder what Mr. Franklin would think of our preoccupation with celebrities.

“ORDER. Let all your things have their places; let each part of your business have its time.”

Everything in its place I fail, and I do way too many things.

“RESOLUTION. Resolve to perform what you ought; perform without fail what you resolve.”

Think of what you ought to do. Then do it.

“FRUGALITY. Make no expense but to do good to others or yourself; i.e., waste nothing.”

Oops. I spend too much and waste more.

“INDUSTRY. Lose no time; be always employ’d in something useful; cut off all unnecessary actions.”

I like to sleep too much, but I do like to do lots of things. Mostly unnvecessary.

“SINCERITY. Use no hurtful deceit; think innocently and justly, and, if you speak, speak accordingly.”

I can pass this one. I may be too sincere.

“JUSTICE. Wrong none by doing injuries, or omitting the benefits that are your duty.”

I’m big on causing no injury. I could be more generous.

“MODERATION. Avoid extremes; forbear resenting injuries so much as you think they deserve.

I’m getting better at not resenting, but I am still pretty extreme.

“CLEANLINESS. Tolerate no uncleanliness in body, cloaths, or habitation.”

I think we actually shower and bathe more than back then, but my car does need to be cleaned.

“TRANQUILLITY. Be not disturbed at trifles, or at accidents common or unavoidable.”

I think I am the ultimate easy-going, laid-back and tolerant person. Maybe too much.

“CHASTITY. Rarely use venery but for health or offspring, never to dullness, weakness, or the injury of your own or another’s peace or reputation.”

Let’s just say I’m healthy.

“HUMILITY. Imitate Jesus and Socrates.”

I wish I was more humble. I am the poster boy for the song “Oh, Lord It’s Hard To Be Humble”.

But I do have a list of my own.

In my motivational presentation “B Positive, More than just a blood type” I focus on how to be our best selves, and the phrase “My Best Self” represents the following ideas, with each letter of “My Best Self” starting each idea.



In the word MY

M represents Make a positive contribution

Y means we Yearn to be better



In the word BEST

B stands for Believing in your potential

E means we Exercise

S stands for Smiles

T means we Trust in the Creative



In the word SELF

S represents Specialization

E means we Expect great things to happen

L means we Learn from others and the final letter

F tells us to Fearlessly forge forcefully forward.


Find ways this week to be your best self. Make a positive contribution, yearn to be better, believes in your potential, exercise, smile, trust in the Creative, specialize, expect great things to happen, learn from others, and fearlessly forge forcefully forward.

Be your best self. I hope your spirits have been lifted this day. Go out and find all the reasons we have to be thankful for in this abundant life.

Today, I’m grateful to share a birthday with Benjamin Franklin. With a couple of hundred Benjamins, nearly any problem could be solved. And I don’t just mean money.

Another 800 word/ 5 minute podcast from "Dane Allred's Partly-colored Dreamocoat". From the program “Abundance”, Dane Allred also presents pieces from "Literature Out Loud". These episodes are broadcast live every Sunday on www.k-talk.com from 7 to 8 p.m. (Mountain Standard Time), and are also available at www.daneallred .com and at www.daneallred.podbean.com. His new book, “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to Dane Allred” is available at www.daneallred.com and on eBay. You can also sign up and get automatic downloads as a subscriber at daneallred.podbean or on Apple’s iTunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment