Thursday, June 3, 2010

The Plodder's Mile -- Chapter Nine


Click on the player above to hear an audio version of this chapter.

CHAPTER NINE

It wasn’t too difficult in such a small town to find out who the captain of police was, and where he lived. Since there was noise at his house when Ray went by, he decided to check out the deputy’s house instead. He knew that most police procedure made the officers deposit money in a safe in the police station that had a two key system, so they wouldn’t be tempted to try to use the money themselves. The big problem was with large amounts of money, Ray knew that the regulations usually called for bigger deposits to be made to the local bank. That meant the money could have been transferred to a bank, but Ray was hoping he was quick enough to catch the bundle still in the local police office, since the nearest bank was another town twenty miles away.
He had to find the two keys, and then hoped he would be able to outwit these small town cops. Ray was fully confident he had the experience that they lacked, and with some careful execution of plans, he would have his money before the night was over.
As Ray approached the house where Larry, Greg’s deputy lived, he noticed there was little activity on the street, which could be good unless there was a nosy neighbor waiting around. Since most of the lights were out this late at night, his only problem would be if the deputy was at home. But there was no car in the driveway or parked in the carport, so Ray went around to the back to find a way in.

John Graham couldn’t sleep. He thought he would be able to deal with this money thing better than this. He tossed and turned as Reba slept soundly, not even aware that John was struggling with the fact of hiding something from her. When she had made the off-hand comment about Greg giving them some of the money, the pit in his stomach became a giant sinkhole. He had almost said something twice, but other news items caught her attention, and before he could spit out a word, they were in bed.
Reba was a heavy sleeper. She could fall asleep faster than John every night of the week and usually did. John reviewed the day, got up and read, ate a late night snack, and then tried to sleep again. Often Reba had been sleeping an hour before he was able to nod off.
Tonight was no exception. The gnawing fear of being found out, being accused of stealing money (of stealing stolen money?), of the possible shame that would come to his family was overwhelming. Even if he were able to keep the money, he doubted now that he would enjoy it. He just wanted it out of his life.
He had been so distracted by this fear that he realized, almost an hour later, that he had rebuffed romantic overtures by his wife. She had pulled him close, hugging him from behind and had begun to playfully caress his arm. Unfortunately, Reba was only good for two or three minutes of foreplay without response before she would fall fast asleep, sometimes still holding him tight. This is what happened tonight, and before John got in the mood, the moment had passed. John thought what a problem the money had become when he realized he had passed up making love to his wife to sort out what to do about the money. He should get rid of it tomorrow. Maybe.

Greg was driving slowly over to the only motel in town. He knew he only had a few moments to find out what was happening with Paula tonight, and if he didn’t start now, there might not be another chance. Ever.
“Paula, I’m sorry I assumed you were ready. That was stupid of me.”
Paula sniffed. “You were right to assume. I am ready. I just don’t know if you know how ready I really am.”
Now Greg was totally confused. “Then was I just being a jerk?” He found this was often the answer in his relationships, and he often had to ask.
“Greg, do you remember where we first met?” Paula’s eyes found his as he pulled into the parking lot, turned off the lights and left the car running.
“Yeah,” he lied, trying to think fast. “It was at the O’Malley murder trials.”
“No, that was the third time,” she said quickly, forgiving his lack of focus. “We first met when Harrison, that drug dealer was arrested here in town after being chased through three counties.”
“Oh, yeah”, he said, “and you wanted to interview the local police captain who had nothing to do with the arrest whatsoever.”
Paula giggled quietly. “You were able to coordinate the state cars to help trap him in that dead end road. They could have chased him for another three counties. That’s being involved.”
Greg grunted and wondered where this was all going.
“I’ve never told you this before, but the drug dealer you busted that night was one of my ex-boyfriends. We had only dated a couple of times, but when something like that happens, it really makes you stop and listen to the wise advice of your mother. She had told me not to see that jerk anymore, and when she saw our interview on the television, she pointed out that I could do lots worse than Officer Greg Jones, local police captain.”
“Is that why you’ve been making excuses to cover the southern part of the state more lately?”
“Well, I didn’t plan it this way, but a year later, after another stupid relationship, my mother’s words began to make more sense.” Paula sighed. “That’s when I set my sights on you, and why I find an excuse to call every other week, to visit as often as I have. I have learned to be patient.”
“Just because I am so dense,” Greg lamented.
“It’s not just you, Greg,” she explained, and pulled him closer to give him a good long kiss. “I think it’s really charming that you have been so shy, and all it has done is to steel my resolve and be as patient as you needed. I just got a little sensitive tonight, and it really isn’t anything you said or did. I think I have just built up this night in my imagination so much that there was no way for it to be the romantic time I thought it would be.”
“So when I said I was glad you came to this town…”
“I guess I thought you were thinking there might be other men for me, in every town. But there’s not. There’s just been you for way too long. I’ve been waiting for tonight for two years. And I don’t want you to think I do this in every town I visit. I’m only interested in you.”
“I’m so sorry, Paula”, Greg breathed out, finally understanding what he could do to help this problem get fixed. “I only meant that this small town boy is in love with the uptown girl. I still can’t see what you see in me, but I’m just glad you didn’t give up.”
Paula collapsed into his arms and he wrapped his arms tight around her. She sighed and said, “You big dumb lummox. I love you, too. Next time, I’ll be better, I promise.”
“Well,” said Greg, “now that your secret fascination for small town policemen is out, I’ll have to work on keeping you happy, so you don’t go to the next town and find someone even bigger and dumber.”
They weren’t the most romantic words ever spoken by a man to a woman, but for Paula, after waiting for so long, they were the right words. She kissed him deeply, glad that she had been so patient.

No comments:

Post a Comment