Monday, January 24, 2011

Mohandas Gandhi on Character Central

Go to Abundance for more selections by Dane Allred, including other episodes from Character Central, plus lots more!!



Character Central


Leo

Character Central, Leo speakin’.

Dane

Could I speak with Mohandas Gandhi?

Leo

You want the Mahatma?

Dane

Yes, please.

Leo

Mohandas – phone’s for you!! Who do I charge this to?

Dane

Could you use the Bill Gates card?

Leo

This is Bill Gates?

Dane

No, just use that card I found.

Leo

Oh, is this dat Abundance guy again?

Dane

Yes, this is Dane Allred.

Leo

You know, someday Bill Gates is gonna notice these charges on his card.

Dane

Yes, that’s probably true.

Gandhi

I look only to the good qualities of men. Not being faultless myself, I won't presume to probe into the faults of others.

Dane

Mr. Gandhi? Sorry about the card thing.

Gandhi

Honest disagreement is often a good sign of progress.

Dane

Yes. But you have helped the world make progress.

Gandhi

First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

Dane

And you won with non-violence. What do you think of Western Civilization?

Gandhi

I think it would be a good idea.

Dane

That’s very funny. We should become civilized.

Gandhi

If I had no sense of humor, I would long ago have committed suicide.

Dane

Yes, a good sense of humor is valuable. You are very tolerant.

Gandhi

Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle to the growth of a true democratic spirit.

Dane

So you are saying we should…

Gandhi

Hate the sin, love the sinner.

Dane

No matter what religious background?

Gandhi

I believe in the fundamental truth of all great religions of the world.

Dane

I know you have studied Christianity.

Gandhi

I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.

Dane

Yes, I can understand that perspective.

Gandhi

The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world's problem.

Dane

So you think we all have a part in solving problems of the world?

Gandhi

Whatever you do may seem insignificant to you, but it is most important that you do it.

Dane

But I do think I am doing some important things.

Gandhi

As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world - that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves.

Dane

You’re saying I need to remake myself?

Gandhi

You must be the change you want to see in the world.

Dane

Yes, you are probably best known for that idea.

Gandhi

A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history.

Dane

I can see why so many people are inspired by your vision.

Gandhi

An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

Dane

Ha! I think that was a joke, but if it wasn’t…

Gandhi

Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.

Dane

How true. You do have faith in us as a people, then.

Gandhi

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty.

Dane

So you really do believe in equality of all people.

Gandhi

I believe in equality for everyone, except reporters and photographers.

Dane

Another joke!! I think that’s a great place to end. Thank you, Mohandas Gandhi, sometimes called “The Father”, Mahatma Gandhi.

Gandhi

You can chain me, you can torture me, you can even destroy this body, but you will never imprison my mind.

Dane

Yes, um, thank you again. This is Dane Allred with Mohandas Gandhi from Character Central.

Gandhi

I thought this was Bill Gates. Leo, you told me this was Bill Gates….

Dane

That’s Abundance.



advertise on podbean

No comments:

Post a Comment