Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Car Wash part two

Go to 1001 Thanks for more selections, including other original pieces by Dane Allred and his audio versions of many famous novels, short stories and poems called Literature Out Loud, plus lots more!!

Click on the player to hear an audio version of this piece.

Dane Allred’s World of Hurt



Car Wash Part Two



In Part One, I had just been thrashed in the car wash by the brushes and completely soaked. After pushing the car back up onto the sensor, the wash resumed. I sat cursing about my stupidity. After a few moments, the car wash stopped again. I waited for a moment to make sure all was clear. I had decided to go to the back of the car to push it out of the bay. The bump on the front of the sensor was big, and I was certain it would take quite a shove.

I got low to the ground and put my shoulder up against the tail lights. With one mighty shove, the car went forward perfectly - back up onto the sensor. This time I was behind the car, and the frenzied foaming brushes followed me right back to the driver's seat. I had fallen for the same joke twice. The car had come off the sensor twice. I had been wet before, but now I was completely soaked. It felt like I had 30 gallons of water poured on me while 100 foamy whips tried to catch me.

As I sat and watched the brushes move around and over the car, I was glad it was getting clean. I also decided that this time when the car wash stopped, whether the wash was done or not, I was going to push the car backwards out of the bay. I may be slow, but I am not totally stupid.

When the suds stopped flying I sat for at least a minute. I rocked back and forth inside the car to try to get it to go again. I looked around to see if anyone was waiting for the wash and laughing. After seeing the coast was clear, I pushed the car out the back of the wash. Except I pushed so hard that I couldn't turn the wheel inside fast enough, so it got stuck in the bend of the entrance. This carwash had a semicircular entrance, and here was my soaked car being attended by its sopping wet owner stuck on the concrete sides of a curving entrance.

A Samaritan was lurking close by, and without commenting on my wet clothes and the fact that I was trying to exit from the entrance of the car wash, he helped push the car back and forth until I could turn the wheel and free myself from the carwash of disaster. We pushed the car back another 30 feet into a parking space and I thanked him for his help. I told him the battery was dead, and that seemed to silence his questions about me being dripping wet. I can imagine his conversation at home that night. "See, the reason I am late dear is that this guy's battery died in the carwash and I helped him push the car out of the entrance. I don't know why, but this guy was all wet, too." This would be where the significant other starts smelling the breath of the good Samaritan.

I stood there by myself for a minute. The car was dead and dripping. I was soaked but not defeated, but I was standing next to the newest mall in the city in sopping wet clothes next to a wet car. I decided that it was time for me to go to the nearby Kmart and get a new battery. Even if the old one was fine, I was not going to stand around and wait for the both of us to dry. I guess I figured that if I was walking around not near a wet car people might think I had just been at a water party. It was August after all, and I was only a few miles from the local water park.

I walked the two blocks to Kmart. The good people there must see mostly everything because no one said a word about my wet clothes. By the time I had walked the battery back to the car (try carrying a car battery two blocks inconspicuously), I was starting to feel refreshed. I was clean; I had just taken a bit of exercise; I was ready to repair my car.

The battery was the only problem. With my trust crescent wrench I removed the old one, put in the new one, and the now dry car started up like a dream. I confidently went back to Kmart and got my core refund for the old battery and drove home in style, ready for a new school year.

I didn't share the story for a few days, just to let the humiliation of the event drain off a bit. I have been back to that carwash since then, but as yet, I have not had to get out again mid-wash.

advertise on podbean

No comments:

Post a Comment