Friday, September 30, 2011

Sonnet Forty by William Shakespeare

Go to 1001 Thanks or daneallred.com for more selections, including other original pieces by Dane Allred and his audio versions of many famous novels, short stories and poems called Literature Out Loud, plus lots more!!


Click on the player to hear an audio version of this sonnet.

Sonnet Forty


Take all my loves, my love, yea, take them all;
What hast thou then more than thou hadst before?
No love, my love, that thou mayst true love call;
All mine was thine before thou hadst this more.
Then if for my love thou my love receivest,
I cannot blame thee for my love thou usest;
But yet be blamed, if thou thyself deceivest
By wilful taste of what thyself refusest.
I do forgive thy robbery, gentle thief,
Although thou steal thee all my poverty;
And yet, love knows, it is a greater grief
To bear love's wrong than hate's known injury.
Lascivious grace, in whom all ill well shows,
Kill me with spites; yet we must not be foes.


Listen to live episodes of “Abundance” every Sunday night
on K-talk radio at 7 PM MST (9 PM EST, 6 PM PST)

Click here to subscribe for 99 cents a month -- first week FREE!!
Keep this website funded by donating today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment