Saturday, September 24, 2011

Sonnet Thirty-four by William Shakespeare

Go to 1001 Thanks or daneallred.com for more selections, including other original pieces by Dane Allred and his audio versions of many famous novels, short stories and poems called Literature Out Loud, plus lots more!!

Click on the player to hear an audio versoin of this sonnet.

Sonnet Thirty-four

Why didst thou promise such a beauteous day,
And make me travel forth without my cloak,
To let base clouds o'ertake me in my way,
Hiding thy bravery in their rotten smoke?
'Tis not enough that through the cloud thou break,
To dry the rain on my storm-beaten face,
For no man well of such a salve can speak
That heals the wound and cures not the disgrace:
Nor can thy shame give physic to my grief;
Though thou repent, yet I have still the loss:
The offender's sorrow lends but weak relief
To him that bears the strong offence's cross.
Ah! But those tears are pearl which thy love sheds,
And they are rich and ransom all ill deeds.

Listen to live episodes of “Abundance” every Sunday night
on K-talk radio at 7 PM MST (9 PM EST, 6 PM PST)

Click here to subscribe for 99 cents a month -- first week FREE!!
Keep this website funded by donating today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment